Aug 01 2020
August 1 marks World Lung Cancer Day -- a time to raise awareness of the need for increased lung cancer research and innovation.
Anyone can get lung cancer. Here are the facts you need to know:
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths worldwide
- More patients die every year from lung cancer than from prostate, breast, and colon cancer combined
- The lung cancer five-year survival rate is only 18.6%
- Nearly 160,000 people die from lung cancer every year
- 60% to 65% of all new lung cancer diagnoses are among people who have never smoked or are former smokers
But there’s good news. Lung cancer screening helps detect lung cancer earlier, before symptoms occur, when it is more treatable and can be cured.
Who should be screened?
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends yearly lung cancer screening for people who:
- Have a history of heavy smoking, and
- Smoke now or have quit within the past 15 years, and
- Are between 55 and 80 years old
We’re committed to the fight against lung cancer. At Auris™ Health, now part of Ethicon, we’re working to increase early detection, improve diagnostics, optimize treatment and accelerate recovery by providing cutting-edge technology. The first application of our MONARCH® Platform helps physicians access and visualize hard-to-reach nodules in the lungs, enabling biopsy for early diagnosis and treatment of lung disease.
Join us in the fight against lung cancer by encouraging your community to take an important step to be screened, so that physicians can find and treat lung cancer before it progresses. Together, we can spread awareness and bring hope to those affected by the disease.